Thursday, March 12, 2009

Home is where your Hat is... isn't that how it goes?

*****Warning: Some cussing at the end of the post*****

House hunting so far has sucked for the most part. The first house we found was in Powell. A nice little Cape Cod style house with a HUGE back yard. It was so tiny inside it was a no-go.

The next house we found was in Fountain City, close to where I grew up and on my old bus route to school. It looked like an Old English village house, very charming. It was kind of small and there were issues with the basement, but I think they could be over come. So we looked on down the road at another house the reminded us of that last one. The basement was tall enough for a hobbit to only have to slightly bend and none of the outlets were grounded!

Two houses down was one that was called "The Handyman's Dream." Ugh. The front room looks like the type of place where you would be giving a tour and announce, "This is where grandma died." *Shudder* Not for me. It would also need a new roof soon.

Then the realtor, Rob the Realtor (I think he had his name legally changed to that) showed us one that was at the very top of our budget. We loved it, it was perfect except with childcare issues and a one car wide driveway it wouldn't work either.

Tomorrow we're going to go and look at some more houses and have fun. One is on Azalea (which I love to say) and it quite charming. There are a few more in West Knox that I have found that are great but they don't meet our quirky personalities.

Woo is very particular about the garage. (The garage cannot take up a third of the house) I'm particular about the size. (I want to be able to fit that big ass garage in the living room) We love some of the neighborhoods we've found but want people our age with kids that are the Big Guy's age.

I want a place for my musical equipment and to practice with my band when I can. Or maybe one day I'll give lessons... who knows?!? I want a good sized room for our millions of books and dvds and cds. That easily numbers in the thousands. I would love a garage that both of our cars can fit in. I would love a big back deck so we can host parties. (We're both basically hermits, but we do love our friends)

*sigh*

We'll find it. With each and every trip I feel like we get closer to our home. We definately learn more and more what we don't want, what we can live with, and what we can't live without. I think between all the websites on the internet I've seen every house for sale in Knox county, most of Anderson, and most of Blount.

Who knows, maybe we'll just say, "Fuck it, we'll do it ourselves and build our own dream."

1 comment:

  1. Hey Paulie!

    Don't give up yet. Honestly, it took my husband and me almost 7 years to find a home we not only wanted to buy, but also loved and passed the inspection process. It is not a fun journey while you're in the process, but once you find the one it will all fall together perfectly.

    I didn't believe it would at many many points during our search, but I'm telling you, the second we walked into the house we bought we just knew.

    Don't give up. Take your time. Don't settle. You will eventually find exactly the right house in just the right budget.

    Even if (God forbid) it takes 7 years to get there.

    There...those are JMS's words of encouragement for the day. Take them to Woo and use them as you will!

    JMS

    ReplyDelete